Thursday, July 29, 2010

In the Heat of the Night

This past weekend, Stephen, Sydney and I joined my parents, sister, and her family for a mountain house rendezvous.  If you recall an earlier post, I mentioned that this rustic cabin is free of any modern electronics.  Yes, that includes air conditioning.  Now, usually the cool, summer, mountain nights are very soothing to sleep in.  However, if this gives you any hint as to how unbearably hot it was Friday night, I'll put it in the words of one of my favorite Barenaked Ladies song (which I had in my head all weekend).

Who needs sleep? Well, you're never gonna get it.
Who needs sleep?  Tell me what's that for?
Who needs sleep?  Be happy with what you're getting.
There's a guy who's been awake since the Second World War.

Ok, if you haven't caught the drift, Sydney would not sleep at all.  I'm talking, she didn't end up going to sleep until after 4 AM.  Poor thing, she kept saying, "Hot! Hot!"  We put her in our bed to sleep, and she'd just sit down and crawl all over us, talk to us, etc.  Now, I know some of you moms might be thinking that's a typical night in your household, where your child doesn't sleep.  We have been the fortunate ones to have our child always be an amazing sleeper, so this was definitely new to us!  Sydney and I took a very nice (though HOT) 4 hour nap the next afternoon. :)

But, besides Friday night, we had a great time.  Sydney loved being around her two cousins.  She even warmed up to the dog.  We were also able to scratch another state off the list that Sydney has visited.  Saturday morning, we headed up to North Carolina to visit my old camp.  It is set in a gorgeous area of the Smokey Mountains, right on a huge lake.  So, now Sydney has visited 6 states in total: Georgia, Florida, S. Carolina, N. Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas.  Where to next?

Oh, and Saturday night we played it smart, sleeping on the porch on an air mattress with fans galore.  MUCH better.

Enjoy some pics!


Tuxedo, North Carolina


Visiting the camp


Staying cool


Trying to swim!


Hanging out at the watermelon social/movie night


No comments: