Yep, that's how long it's been since I left the comfort of my old school and began a new chapter in my teaching career! Now that school is officially over with the kids, it's given me a little time to reflect on my past year of adventure.
First of all, let me just say... I am not a huge fan of change. I am all about feeling comfortable, not being put in an awkward position, etc. (Yes, I hate awkward silences.) I was at my former school for 5 years. I think about that sometimes... 5 years??? That's a really good amount of time! It was with the same principal, assistant principal, and the majority of the same teachers. I saw kids come and go- it was a small enough school that you knew who most of the kids were beginning in their 6th grade year. I had the 8th grade math curriculum down to a T, having taught on both the regular ed and special ed sides of it. My department looked out for one another. My principal was great. I had so many friends and knew exactly who to ask for what.
So, why did I decide to leave? I had thrown around the idea of elementary school (I think I had had one too many attitud-ish comments said to me from a 14 year-old) but wasn't really planning to act on it. When this job kind of fell into my lap last spring, I was very excited about it... I think I was ready for change. So, I went for it. All summer, I was excited about my new position... but, walking into the doors of pre-planning in mid-July, realizing you really don't know a soul, was a scary feeling for me.
It was a hard year... being between two schools each day, getting to know who does what and who to ask for what, getting to know two totally different administrations, learning all the teachers and para-pros names (I think I'm still working on that!), being hugely pregnant for half the year, missing out on 8 weeks of school, getting to know how the heck to teach a 1st grader how to read... it was all a huge challenge! I felt like a huge stressball for so long.
But, now that it's all behind me and I'm looking back, I realized that... I made some really good friends. I put myself in a situation where I didn't know anyone and was able to form really positive relationships. I learned how to work with a completely different age group than I was used to. I learned how to teach in totally different ways. I realized that I do have more patience than I thought I did. I realized that I love getting hugs and love and sweet drawings from my little students. I have just now realized that I can't imagine not seeing the people I see on a daily basis now every day. It's funny how one year can be... it can really change so much.
Do I regret anything? No. I miss a lot about my old school, but I've found that when you remove yourself from a situation, you usually only remember the positive things. That's what I remember about my old school, and I'm glad for that, even though I know that things weren't always positive there. Do I wish I could take what I know now and re-do this year? Absolutely! ;) I laugh when I think about some things I didn't know at the beginning of the year (like what the heck are Dolch sight words?) But, then again, when I was offered my very first job as a provisional special education teacher, I asked my sister, "What is an IEP?" ;)
I will be at one of my schools next year full-time, so this week has had me packing up my room at one school and toting it all to the other school. It's allowed me to reflect on how sad I will be to leave those teachers and students I got to know. It also makes me excited to be more fully involved in one school for next year.
So, here is to accepting change in my life, putting myself outside of my comfort zone, and to summer break! Looking ahead to a good 2011-2012 school year.
No comments:
Post a Comment