Saturday, November 14, 2015

Closet Makeover

One of my goals is to go room-by-room in our house and update... paint baseboards, doors, door trim, repaint walls (if necessary), organize areas better, etc.  This is a lofty goal, I realize, and I'm giving myself till the end of the school year to get it all done.

I'm also trying to do all of this on a budget.  With me not working, there's no way I can run to the Container Store or Sherwin Williams all the time.  I'm trying to work with what we have, or what I can get for cheap!

So where did I start?  The smallest space, of course!  The coat closet. :)

I wish I had gotten a better before picture, because it was BAD.  And you couldn't really see how bad it was because we always had about 20 pairs of shoes (no lie) laying on the bottom of the closet.  We had about 20 jackets shoved in there, and I had bought cheap little containers that held overflowing hats, gloves, and scarves. When you removed everything, you could see marks on the wall (probably where our shoes hit when we threw them in there and where jackets rubbed against the wall) and the baseboards were DISGUSTING.  It looked like they were growing hair.  Bleh.

I cleaned and painted the baseboards, painted the walls with leftover paint, bought some cuter (and bigger) containers and utilized a shelf we weren't using as a shoe rack- it was a perfect fit!

All in all, this project cost me $18 (the containers were $6 each, with tax).

Before, minus the cluttered shoes and jackets:

Wish you could zoom in... it was terrible.  

After:




More of my exciting room re-dos later...  ;)

No comments: