Sunday, April 5, 2020

Quarantine- So far

I have to document this crazy time.  I never in a million years would've thought that this virus would be spreading so quickly; schools would be canceled for the rest of the year; sports would be done; businesses would be closed; and everyone is supposed to be "social distancing" and "sheltering in place".

I admit... we didn't social distance all that well the first week.  I let the kids play with neighbors- always outside, my rule was they couldn't go inside anyone's house (and no one could come into ours)... but they would play basketball, baseball, ride bikes, etc.

After more and more stories popped up (including hearing about a couple in our neighborhood (and church!) who were diagnosed 3 weeks ago), Stephen and I decided that we needed to take this more seriously.  It's been hard... there have been many times when the kids have been outside, others have come over to play, or kids will come knocking on the door... but I think our kids understand why it's so important to stay away from others.

Since that first week, we've been good and have gotten used to just being the 5 of us!  And being okay with that.

Besides all of that, the biggest challenge is... homeschooling!!!  We traded our dining room for a classroom, getting all three kiddos set up with their laptops, their books, worksheets and writing utensils. Homeschooling has its good days and bad days... and usually each kid has a good and bad day on a different day from the others. How can I get them to pick their good days and bad days together?? ;) The great part of it is that, overall, the weather has been great, so the kids can play outside a ton.

We've been trying to avoid going to the grocery store or running errands.  We have been able to have some deliveries... a couple owns Menchies' who live down the street, so every Friday they will deliver us some frozen yogurt.  We have had Target bring us groceries a couple of times, and of course Amazon.  We've had pizza delivered; Taylor's soccer coach delivered a cool kick-back he made her; and we've had some sweet deliveries from friends.

We have had SO much family time, it has been glorious.  Not having the go-go-go of school and activities and sports and friends and go here, do this... it has been so nice.  Of course, I wish it was all for a different reason, but I'm definitely able to see the silver lining in these things.  We've been able to sleep in, stay up later, cook dinner together every night, have Stephen home all the time, do house projects, play tons and tons of basketball, take a lot of bike rides, and more.

I am sad for Sydney... she has had such a great 5th grade year, being involved in so many clubs and activities- Friends' Club, Jr Beta, Morning news, Safety patrol, Chattanooga trip, etc.... it's sad that she won't be going back to elementary school at all.  She'll miss awards day, their 5th grade walk, 5th grade dance, etc.  :( Plus, we hit the teacher jackpot with all three kiddos, it's a shame we'll miss a quarter of the year with them!

Anyways, here are some pics from our quarantining so far...

Homeschooling:












Show and tell with his class

One of Sydney's art projects


Outside time:












Lots of walks and bike rides.

Random Stuff:

This dragon... I mean, snapping turtle, showed up on our driveway.

Our friends Hudson and Harrison had to come see it!

Lots of cooking!

Cookies from friends... didn't take long for the kids to dig in, if you can't tell.

Lots of board games!

Our cute neighbors made us these.

Menchies!

Picnic

With all the pollen, our cars needed this!

I have resorted to allowing slime to be made.

Attempting a haircut!

Taylor's "bucket list" for staying home

Keeping an eye on these eggs!

New normal?:

Old calendar

New calendar

Publix- bread aisle

Chicken area

Ground beef


Church online

I'm hoping this nasty virus goes away soon, but in the meantime, I will enjoy the slowness of life right now!

No comments: