Friday, August 19, 2011

School's in session

Last week, Sydney moved up to the next room at her daycare... to the 3 year-olds class that is run like a real classroom.  I will tell you, it's been so strange shopping for school supplies, sending her to school every day with a backpack, and having her come home with "real" work (like her tracing her name).  The 3 year-old classroom uses the A Beka curriculum, and they are going to learn all their letters and numbers (recognizing and writing them), colors, recognizing words, etc.  Sydney is probably the youngest child in her room, but she is potty-trained and really ready for this kind of structure, so we decided to start her early!  She has her own chair at a table that has a little cover over it with pockets on the back and her name on it.  She has a pencil box that she loves with her crayons and pencils in it.  Her backpack hook has her name above it.  So bizarre!

Anyways, so far, so good... until yesterday.  I came to pick Sydney up after work, and Sydney was sitting in her chair, looking kind of gloomy.  I spoke to Miss Lauren, her teacher, who told me that she had to put Sydney in time-out.  I asked why, and she said that she was trying to separate Sydney and her BFF Raegan, who occasionally are really loud and hyper when they get together, and Sydney went, "NO!" to her.  Ouch.  Stephen and I have heard this come out of her mouth, but I was sad that she did it to her beloved teacher!  So, we had a chat all yesterday evening, last night, and this morning about how we talk to adults/teachers.  Sydney said she was going to tell Miss Lauren she was sorry.  I didn't know if she actually did it until I picked her up today.  I asked Miss Lauren if Sydney told her anything this morning, and she said that it was the first thing Sydney said to her!  She said that Sydney went, "Miss Lauren, I have to tell you something" and she said, "Yes?" and Sydney said, "I'm sorry!".  Sydney's version went about the same, but she told me that Miss Lauren gave her a bunch of kisses after that.  So, all is happy again. :)

It got me thinking about how I'll handle things like this when she's really in school.  I see what my students go through at school and know that my girls will be in the middle of that one day.  I guess all you can do is just talk to your child, guide them in the best way you know how, and hope they will make a good decision!  I'm very proud of Sydney that it was on her mind enough to tell Miss Lauren that first thing. 

Anyways, here are a few pics of Sydney going to school!

No comments: