Stephen decided to have LASIK surgery! He's been wearing contacts/glasses for about 12 years and decided to head to Emory a couple weeks ago for a consultation. He was cleared, and 2weeks later, he was in the surgery chair! Since I was back to work, my mom came down to Loganville, took him to the surgery, drove him home, spent the night, and took him back again the next morning for a follow-up. What would we do without her?? (Thanks, Mom!) Stephen said that it took about 4 minutes per eye, and he was done.
Anyways, his eyesight is 20/20, if not even better! He keeps talking about how weird it is to wake up in the morning and see the alarm clock, to read license tags from far away, etc. I'm so happy for him! (and I'm hoping I'll get a chance in the near future to do the same!).
The second surgery happened today with our sweet Taylor! She has been battling chronic ear infections since mid-May, and no antibiotics seemed to make them go away. After 5 rounds of antibiotics, the pediatrician said she'd recommend that we go see the ENT about it. Luckily, we were already in with an ENT at CHOA (because of Taylor's laryngomalacia) so I got an appointment pretty quickly. The doctor said that she is a candidate for tubes, and he wanted to make sure it was done at the hospital in case there were any complications from the laryngomalacia.
That day, while at the ENT, they did some hearing tests. Her left ear was fine- a little cloudy because of the built-up fluid, but nothing of concern. However, her right ear has little hearing. The girl said that it sounds like someone is talking to her from above while she's a few feet underwater. Of course, they couldn't say it's definitely because of her chronic ear infections (and her right ear always seemed to be the worst one), but they're hoping that is why and that her hearing will come back without any issues. I hope so!!!
OK, so, fast-forward to today. We leave the house at 5 AM. Taylor couldn't eat or drink anything after midnight last night, so we tried our best to not wake her or Sydney as we put them in the car. We arrived at CHOA at 6 and got checked in. We got in a room, where they checked her vitals, got her dressed, prepped, and ready to go. Around 8:30, they took her back. I'm not kidding you, she was back in the room, awake, at 8:47. I was thinking they'd keep her for at least 30 minutes to let the anesthesia wear off. They said the actual surgery was about 10 minutes total. Anyways, Taylor was extremely fussy for about 10-15 minutes, and then it was like a switch was turned off- she was back to her normal, smiley self! She hasn't had any bad effects from it since! Yay!
Such a relief they are both over, and both turned out well!
Here are some pictures from today...
Before the gown
Playing shy
Not digging the hat!
She fell asleep right before they came to get her!
Post-op... drinking some apple juice!
1 comment:
Sweet Taylor! That hospital gown and hat are too precious! I'm glad it all went well. Craziness, and right when school starts too. Sweet girl. I'm glad she's back to normal. Isn't it amazing how quickly kids bounce back? Violet surprised me with her tear duct probe that same way. Totally jealous about the lasik, btw. Get it and let me know how it goes!
Post a Comment