A man recently passed away who had a significant impact on my life... even though I didn't know him that well.
Dr. Bob Daria passed away at the age of 40 this past Sunday night. He was the epitome of health, from what he outwardly showed, and he had a sudden heart attack, went into a coma, and never recovered.
He lived in our community of Loganville and was Assistant Superintendent of Walton County Schools. He dated a former co-worker of mine. But, I still didn't know him that well.
So, what impact did he have on me?
Almost 7 years ago, he took a chance on a 24 year-old girl who had a huge desire to teach, but had no clue what she was doing. He was the principal who hired me back in the summer of 2005 to be a special education teacher at Cousins Middle School in Covington, GA. I met him at the job fair and he brought me in for an interview. He was so nice to me, he was so excited for me. He gave me the chance to be someone that I had discovered I wanted to be.
At that time, Bob was at the end of his reign at the middle school, and was about to start at the nearby high school as principal when he hired me. I never officially got to work for him. But, I saw him at a bunch of local events, we were even in contact last spring when he was in the role of Asst. Superintendent in our county. He would probably recognize me, but that's about it.
If Bob could hear me right now, I'd like for him to know that he probably has no clue how important he was in my life... but that I am so appreciative for him having the faith in me I didn't have in myself.
Rest in Peace, Bob!
http://waltontribune.com/news/article_a1e7d9da-46a7-11e1-accb-001871e3ce6c.html
1 comment:
aww, Brooke, I am so sorry to hear this. It's amazing that he probably doesn't even realize the opportunity that he gave you and what a significant person he was for your career. It's amazing how one person like this man can change your life.
Post a Comment