Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Be there for your child

One of the hardest things I'm grappling with lately is the fact that I can't be there to take Sydney to school, visit her classroom or eat lunch with her occasionally, or pick her up. I was asked to be the room mom, but had to pass- I knew I wouldn't be a good one because of work. (And that stinks.) I also dislike how rushed we are in the morning. There's rarely time for me to braid Sydney's hair like she wants me to, or hang out or play with the kids in the morning. They eat breakfast at daycare, so I don't even get to make them that. It's always a go-go-go routine that has to happen for everyone to get to where they need to be... on time. 

Well, today was an opportunity for me to be there. I left school yesterday to go to the doctor- sore throat + fever = tonsillitis. I was told not to go to work today. Last night I didn't feel well, but today I felt pretty normal. I got to feed the kids breakfast; play with them; braid Sydney's hair; calmly leave and first take Sydney to school; drop Taylor and Parker off at their school; take a leisurely walk at the park; eat lunch with Sydney at her school; and do a lot of other shopping/stuff around the house. Now I'm waiting in line to pick her up. 

It just felt so good that I could be there for the kids. Show them that it's not really me who's the monster in the morning- that's just my running-late-for-work personality. ;) 

I guess I should realize that it's because of work and the hectic schedule we lead that I truly appreciate these things. I definitely don't and won't ever take them for granted!

Sydney got to pick 2 friends to eat at the special table with us. 


Waiting to get my girl!




No comments: