Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Couponing, Part Deux

Ok, I promise my blog is not going to turn into a "Guess how much money I just saved!" kind of thing... well, after today. ;)

I just have to share my second couponing experience.  First of all, I spent a couple hours yesterday making a coupon binder, with all the coupons sorted alphabetically by brand name.  (I bought 20 business card binder-inserts and have basically one insert per letter).  I have built up my coupon collection a good bit in the last week, so it's nice that they're all organized now.



So, last night I was looking up some more deals and matching them to my coupons.  I went to Publix, CVS, and Kroger, toting along both girls, this morning.  Here's what all I got, and I spent a total of $38.63:



All of these items would have been $89.67, so I saved 57%!

So, here's the breakdown:
**At Publix, I stocked up on more noodles and spaghetti sauce, milk, cake mix and icing, Baby Orajel, and 2 Freschetta Pizzas, which were about half of my bill (being $5.00 each on sale and after coupons).  I spent $20.90 at Publix.  (Oh, and there were 3 or 4 things I could have gotten free- or even gotten credit back for- but they were all sold out!!!  I think if you want to take advantage of free things, you need to go on the first day of their weekly sale...)

**At CVS, I actually profited 97 cents!!  I got Zyrtec, a Schick Hydro razor with 5 blades, and a diet coke.  I went out of pocket $3.03 and have $4.00 Extra Care Bucks to spend next time.  The funny thing is... I didn't need the Zyrtec, but it cost $5.99, and if you bought that, you got $5.99 in Extra Care Bucks.  Plus, I had a coupon for $4.00 off.  So, it was like the Zyrtec was free, and it gave me a -$4 balance.  Then, my second transaction, I got the Schick Razor, which was on sale for $8.00.  With my $4 balance, it was only $4, and then I had a $4 off coupon!  (Plus, it gave me $4 in Extra Care Bucks back!)  So, it's like both were free! (though I did have to pay the tax, which was $.62)

Note to self: The dumb thing I did was do them out of order... I should have bought the Schick razor first, and then the Zyrtec.  Because, when I got the Zyrtec, I had to pay $2.41 out of pocket ($5.99 cost minus the $4 coupon, plus tax).  Then, I got the $5.99 Extra Care Bucks back.  Next, when I got the razor, I only owed $4 on it after the coupon, so that left me with $1.99 additional Extra Care Bucks- and once you use part your ECBs, you have to use the whole amount or it goes to waste.  So, instead of wasting the $1.99 left over money, I bought a Diet Coke to take it up.  If I had done it the other way, I still would be out of pocket $2.41, but I'd have $5.99 ECBs to use next time instead of $4.

So, I guess the best thing to do is do the lowest ECB-back item first, and the largest one last.

**At Kroger, I did really well!  I spent $18.70 and got the following:
-6 rolls of Viva Paper Towels
-12 Double Rolls of Cottonelle toilet paper
-2 boxes of Cheez-Its
-Jumbo pack (36 count) of Huggies diapers
-Baby oatmeal cereal

All the items (minus the oatmeal) were part of a "Buy 5 participating items and save $5.00" deal.  So, if you bought 5 items, you could save $1.00 on each.  I found 5 items we needed or could use in the future, matched them up with coupons, and saved about $19.  The paper towels ended up being $3.99 (normally $8.99); the toilet paper was $3.99 (normally $8.29); the Cheez-Its were $1.45 each (normally $2.95 each); the Huggies were $5.99 (normally $9.99) and the oatmeal was $.48 (normally $1.48).  All of these things would have been $37.08 total.

Yay!!!  I can see how this is addicting.  Stephen always laughs at me when I tell him what "great" deals I get on things... he'll be like, "Man, I found this $15,000 item and only paid $8,000 for it!" (he's just trying to say that I buy things because of their cheap price, yet I'm still spending money...)  I see his point.  I do. :)  But, he's actually really happy for me to be doing this, as these are things we will definitely use!

OK, I promise I won't keep doing this... this can't be too exciting to read, but it's really fun to do! :)

Next stop: Walmart, where I can get 2 American Greeting Cards for free, and $1.00 of my beloved People magazine. :)  Also, JC Penney's where I can get a free Sephora mascara.

No comments: