Wednesday, June 22, 2011

"Dada", "Why???", "I mean, REALLY?!"

These are the words you would hear most if you eavesdropped on the K-Bash household. 

Taylor has officially spoken her first word, "Dada"!  She started saying it about a week ago.  We didn't think too much of it at first, assuming it was just some sound she was making.  But, it became apparent really quickly that when Stephen was around, she would smile and say "Dada!".  When it was just me and her, she'd make other noises but not say "Dada."  It's only when she saw her daddy.  And she says it so sweetly.  Very cool!  (although, come on, Dada first?  Really?  I just carried you for 9 months, and this is what I get?  ;)

Sydney has learned about the question, "Why?"  Here is a sample conversation:

Me: "No, we can't go outside on the playground." 
Sydney: "Why?"
Me: "Because it's raining."
Sydney: "Why?"
Me: "Because there are water drops falling from the sky."
Sydney: "Why?"
Me: "Because Mother Nature decided we needed rain."
Sydney: "Why?"
Me: "Because it's been too dry lately."
Sydney: "Why?" 
You get the point.

I appreciate the fact that she's inquisitive... I do.  But, seriously, one time there were about 20 "whys" and I had run out of things to say.  I finally just said some made up word that made her confused and forget to ask "Why??". ;)  It really does make you think about what exactly you are saying!

The last saying makes me crack up.  Whenever someone does something that annoys Sydney, she'll say, "I mean, REALLY?!" and the look she gets on her face is priceless.  It is so funny.  Today, she was arranging her ABC magnets on the fridge, and one of the magnets fell off.  She went, "Why did you fall?  I mean, really??!"

Too funny.  Besides all the talking going on, we have been busy busy bees!  I'm trying to get a lot of stuff done around the house.  I feel a little guilty that most of our days are spent with me doing stuff while trying to entertain the girls at the same time (or dragging them on a million errands), but my hope is to get some of these big things done that I've wanted to do, and then have the rest of the summer to just chill. Oh, and Sydney has decided to no longer take naps, so that's an extra 2 hours a day I try to fill. 

Things I've done lately are:
-painted the downstairs bathroom the same color as our breakfast nook.  I've been doing a lot of shopping to try to transform it into a more elegant look, rather than the more country look it hard before (with yellow walls and sage green accents).  I'm now going with the blue walls, dark brown shelving and frames, and white accessories.  Plus, we're going to add crown moulding.

-I made a wedding album.  6 years later isn't too late, is it?  We were too cheap when we got married to invest in the big album with our photographer, so we opted to just get the photos and the rights to them, saying we'd make one on our own.  All I ever did was one of those Snapfish books.  Well, one of my friends showed me an album she made for her trip to Africa, and it was so glamorous... only to find out she did it completely online for under $50.  what??  So, that was what I accomplished today.  It is ordered and should be here in a week.  And can I just say, it was so fun looking back at all of those pictures and reliving the moments!  I still remember what it was like to walk down the aisle, whose faces I remember seeing, what it was like during our first dance, etc.  Can't wait to see it!

-Our computer, also about 6 years old (which I think, in computer land, translates to the age of 142), is on the outs, so we purchased a new one online. We also decided to purchase an external hard drive to save all of our pictures on, since they take up so much disk space. I have been transferring pictures (and also disks that I burned old pictures on to previously save space on the computers) to the new external drive. It took so long, but that is finally done. And I can't wait to look back at some of these pictures I haven't seen in years... I'm so bad about not printing my digital shots, so if they're not on my computer, I don't look at them anymore!

-Other time has been filled with gym appointments (trying to finish up the last few personal training sessions I have from when I started them 2 summers ago! aahh!), picnics outside, playing with the neighbors, laundry, going to see movies with friends, dinners, karaoke, laundry, ironing, laundry, trying to read and couponing! (yeah, yeah!)
I'll leave you with some pictures... my mundane days should end soon, as we'll be out of town on 4 trips in the next month. I'm excited for that, and I know that the girls (Sydney especially!) will love what is to come!

Taylor loves her swing!

My friend Sara and I had dinner in Little 5 Points and saw this awesome play called Avenue Q!  This is us with some of the characters.

Late night at the neighbors... the girls had movie time upstairs while the parents played downstairs.

My sweet girl, who MUST be getting a tooth because she gnaws on everything!

"But why?"

Picnic in 95 degree heat!

No one can make Taylor laugh like her sister!

No comments: