Sunday, February 5, 2012

One Smart Cookie

Sydney's teacher stopped me in the hallway at her daycare the other day, saying, "I need to talk to you about something!"  Of course, my first reaction is, "uh oh..."  She assured me that it was a great thing.

She proceeds to tell me that she was doing individual assessments with each child in her room to see what they have learned so far, halfway through the school year.  She said that Sydney was so smart!  She said she barely had to look at the flash cards to tell what letter/number was being shown.  She gave me the sheet where she marked what Sydney did/didn't know.

This is what she can do:
-Recognize all the letters (upper and lowercase)
-Can sing the ABCs
-Can recognize numbers up to 12
-Can count to 30 (really, she can count to over 100 now, with guidance on the order of 40/50/60/etc)
-She knows all her colors
-She knows all of her shapes (including crescent, star, and heart) with the exception of an octagon.
-She was rated excellent on social skills, including:
  • Overall interaction with other children
  • Overall interaction with other adults
  • Sharing
  • Showing kindness
  • Showing respect for others
  • Being helpful
  • Making good choices
  • Independence
  • Staying on task
  • Following directions
-For motor skills, she can:
  • Hop on one foot
  • Run
  • Skip
  • Walk
  • Hold pencil/crayon correctly
  • Color in the lines (well, this seems to go along with her mood to color)
  • Beginning writing skills
**The one motor skill she needs help with is holding scissors correctly.

I am so proud!!  This is the first official "report" I've seen for Sydney.  Of course, I see what she can do at home but you never know how it translates at school.  Plus, now I know to work with her on recognizing numbers over 12, how to cut, and what an octagon is.

Oh, and one funny thing... whenever Sydney finds one of the excess monkeys, we say it is monkey's cousin from Africa.  Sydney's teacher said the other day, they were learning about continents, and the teacher pointed out where Africa was.  She said that Sydney said, "That's where monkey's cousin lives!!"  I had already told the teacher about it, so she said she had a good laugh. :)

Go Sydney!


1 comment:

Erica said...

I am so proud of my girl, but not surprised! Her mama went to UGA!