My biggest stress was getting my room set up and ready. Once that was done, then I realized that I probably should figure out what to do when the kids actually get there. I definitely could've used more than 3 pre-planning days, but I got it done. At least, I got the important things done.
Here are some pictures of my room:
A little sign I made.
I was also interviewed by the local paper as a "new" teacher to the county.
Thursday night, we had open house. I have to admit I had some difficulty breathing right before it. I was so nervous. I've never started the year off with a homeroom, I haven't been in the classroom in 2 years, and I haven't been around 8th graders in 3. All of that adds up to some nerves for me. But... it was great!! I got to meet most of my homeroom, I had to pronounce my last name at least 60 times, I got to meet some nice parents... it was great. I left feeling good, but anxious about the next morning.
To summarize Friday... It was GREAT! I couldn't have asked for a better start! I was mentally prepared, I had enough things for the kiddos to do, I was surprisingly organized. The kids were good- definitely have some talkers or some who I'll keep my eye on- but, they were awesome for the first day! Here's a little activity I did:
I had 4 sheets on the board, each with a fill in the blank or question on it. Each kid got to answer the question/statement on a sticky note.
Math is important because... (almost everyone said something like "We use it everyday in life".
Our classroom should be ___ everyday. Most answers were either fun, clean, or quiet.
What will Mrs. K need to do to help you this year? I got a wide variety of answers- some as simple as "nothing" (those confident kiddos!) and others very detailed.
My goal for math this year is _____. Most were either to get an A or to pass the CRCT in math.
I was definitely EXHAUSTED at the end of the day and I went to bed at 8:45. Today, I am much more energized, feeling good... but now I need to figure out all the plans for next week! There's no turning back now!
No comments:
Post a Comment