Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Jag Jog

This past Saturday, Sydney and I headed to her school for a race.  She was running in the 1 Mile Fun Run and I was doing the 5K.  Stephen, Taylor, and Parker were along for the ride to be our cheerleaders.  This is a 5K I've done before (about 5 years ago!) and was excited to do it again.  Well, maybe excited is not the best word... (wink)...but I was anxious to get back into doing races.

Sydney and I have been out running a mile a few times around the 'hood to practice for her.  I was trying to teach her the concept of pacing herself (you know... be the tortoise, not the hare), and our miles usually took about 11:30 to complete.  Keep that in mind.

When it came time for the Fun Run, which happened first, there were probably about 10 kids total running it.  They yelled "go!", and Sydney took OFF!  She and another girl from her school started sprinting.  I was thinking that the poor things were going to tire out after a minute.

They're off!  Sydney's the closest to the camera.  The girl in the pink pants was the one who kept the lead!

They ran all around the parking lot, following the police car.  The other girl from school had about a 10 step lead the whole time, but they were keeping pace together.  Sydney finished, in second, at... 7:30!  Holy cow!  I don't think I could even do that, running my fastest.  She definitely rocked it out.

Cheerleader #1

Closing in on the finish line!  Sydney had fallen at one point and scraped up her knee.  She kept going!  I was very proud of her.

Cheerleader #2

She did it!

Me, on the other hand?  Not "rocking it out" so much.  But kind of.  See, this race ran down the street that our neighborhood is off of.  And, remembering the route from the race 5 years ago, one part has always stuck out to me... the killer hill that is the whole second half (1.5+ miles) of the race.  And the dang hill got in my head again.  I ended up walking and running once the hill came.  My time was pretty pathetic, but I ended up getting 1st place in the 31-40 year olds.  Yes, I have the trophy to prove it.  I just won't tell anyone else my time or the fact that there were probably only 5 people in my age group. ;)

My friend, Morgan.  She ran with her 1st grader and ended up 2nd in our age group.

Trophies for everybody!

A good time was had by all, and hopefully this is the first of many races for us to do together!

No comments: