Friday, December 28, 2018

The Evolution of our Coffee Table

You know how I like to show the progression of things, right?  Well, Stephen and I recently tried to find our inner Chip and Joanna and decided to redo our coffee table.  We've had this coffee table from before we got married, 14+ years now.  It was a really dark, mahogany color, which was pretty "in" back then.  Now, our house is very light and bright (light grays and white) so the table just didn't fit.

Excuse the mess... but this will give you an idea.

I painted the bottom portion with white chalk paint.  It took 3 coats for the white to cover the dark wood.  I then distressed the edges.


Stephen and I went to Lowe's and got a few 1x4s.  He cut them so that they covered the top, hanging over the end by a couple of inches.  Then, he screwed them in.  He did a lot of sanding to make sure it was all smooth, especially the edges.



See the screw holes under the bars?  The wooden piece covering had came off at some point.

I then started staining the wood.  We opted for a gray-ish stain color.  Stephen also cut out a piece of wood that covered the above screw holes, and I painted that white.  (You can tell the difference in the below pic)


The staining process took a long time... it took 4 coats of stain, and each time the stain had to dry for several hours.  We had it in the garage and it rained most of this week, so the stain had a hard time drying very well with all the moisture.  Finally, it was time to put polyurethane on it.  That took 2 coats, and had to sit again for a couple more days.



Here's the final product!  I love it! Now, to find a rug...


No comments: