Monday, May 14, 2012

Jury Duty

I was officially summoned for jury duty for the first time.  I take that back- I was summoned once when I was in college to serve in Fulton County, but was able to get out of it because of the mere fact I was a college student.  Couldn't play that card this time. :)

Before I start griping, let me just say... I know this is my civic duty.. yada yada yada.  And, I should preface this blog with saying that one of my biggest pet peeves is wasting time.

But, seriously??  I got to the courthouse at 8 AM, and, long story short, we didn't leave until 5:45 PM.  I NEVER ONCE moved chairs. Meaning, I was not part of the 72 of the 100+ total people called back to be questioned to be considered for a jury.  I was one of the "lucky" ones who got to sit... and sit... and sit.

Now, on the plus side, I am thankful not to have been picked, where I'd have to come back again this week.  I should also be glad that I got a lot of good reading time in (350 pages of my 500+ page book were read), and I got to meet a new friend.  But, seriously??  I was so aggravated at the end of the day, just feeling like I wasted so much time.  The judge, who was really nice, (seriously, no sarcasm hinted) told us we were dismissed and to not feel like we wasted our day by just sitting here.  I'm thinking... sure... while thoughts of the 300+ things I could/should be doing run through my brain.  Everyone there really was super nice- the police officers, the clerks, etc.  Good company to be near, I suppose.

But, I am proud that I could do my civic duty... and now that I'm home, caught up on emails from the day, wearing my PJs, and bumming on the couch, I am much happier. :)

No comments: