Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Love & War

It doesn't seem like love and war could go together, but in my classroom, it appears that they can.

Let me tell you how it started.  It all began with some kiddos leaving me notes by my computer.  I think others saw the notes and decided to write some themselves.  As my computer desk got filled up with little post-it notes, the note collection slowly migrated to my filing cabinet, and then to the wall space by my desk.

Some notes have succumbed to the loss of their stickiness.


Some of the notes are cute... "Sally loves you!"... and some are meaningful, with little messages from the heart.  All of them brighten my day.


But then... the war began.  A total of 5 students; 2 in one group, and 3 in the other; decided to have a "war" over who "loves" me the most.  And by "love", they mean who can make me the most signs.  It started off little... but then it blew up.

One girl is a cheerleader, and to kill time before practice after school one day, I told her she could stay in my room to do some homework.  I left for the day.  The next morning, this is what I walked in to find...


Sweet, right?

Of course, the other group had to retaliate.


So, then, the first group did some more...


But then... something peaceful happened.  They all joined together and started making signs and putting them up together...


So, there you have it.  The war of 2014 came to a peaceful ending in a matter of days.  I guess if they aren't learning how to write an equation in slope-intercept form, or solving multi-step inequalities, then maybe at least they will have learned the importance of getting along and working with their peers.  Now, how to politely reclaim my wall space?

Oh, and the feeling of love is mutual... I do adore my students!

No comments: