Saturday, February 7, 2015

All about that niece

Parker is obsessed with the song "All About that Bass" (or, in his words, "A ba ba ba bay").  So, if you know that song, I'm sure you're now singing the title of this blog in that tone.  You're welcome.

My niece, Madeline, just turned 12!!  It's hard to believe that I've been an aunt for 12 years now.  And, the age 12 seems to be a turning point for girls.  Madeline is no longer a little girl.  She is tall, beautiful, and you can talk big-girl stuff with her now.  No more conversations about Dora like when she was two, or taking her to Chuck E Cheese's or catching her going down the water slide at the mountain house.  This girl is now in 6th grade, has an iphone (and knows more about it than me!), is a brilliant actress, a gifted student who wears a size 10 shoe and a size 0 pant, and will probably be taller than me in a matter of months.  It's really hitting me how grown she is.

February 6, 2003


Last weekend, we went up to Gainesville to watch Madeline perform in her school's play.  I knew she had been cast in this play and had been practicing hard, but I didn't realize that she had the lead role in it!  It was a middle school play, and she was cast as the main role as a 6th grader.  I was blown away by her acting skills.  She must have inherited those from her Uncle Bill.  The rest of us missed that gene!


Photobombed by Kerrigan's fingers

Madeline and her friend.

After the play, we had a family birthday party for the almost-teenager.  I know time is just going to keep on flying, but I really wish it wouldn't!





No comments: