Back in December, my principal approached me and said a student teacher requested math at our school, and he wanted to put her with me. He said he usually doesn't put student teachers in 8th grade math, since it's a gateway grade and subject, but the Milestones test won't count this year, so he wanted her to be with me.
I was excited, but also curious... what would she be like? She'd have to shadow me for 4 months straight. Teach for 4 weeks, full time (sweet!). What if our personalities didn't mesh? So many questions.
I didn't have too long to think about it. She started day one back from the break (even my principal thought she would start the second week) and we rushed around to get her a desk, chair, supplies... you know, settled. And I have to say... she has been an angel sent to me. First of all, we have a lot of similarities. She graduated from UGA with a PR degree, (teaching is her 2nd career, but she's only 28), played sports growing up, has a 4 year-old, has the same kind of philosophies with dealing with the kids. Second of all, this girl is incredible. She's confident but not cocky... super organized... willing to take on anything. She knew all the kids names on day 2 (no joke) (my co-teacher said he still doesn't know everybody's name!) and she's a welcomed fresh perspective into my classroom. She has gotten some cool ideas from Pinterest that we have tried out. She is quick to grab something off my desk to do for me. Pretty shortly into her role, she started teaching my 2 afternoon classes for me... so, I would teacher from 9:00-12:30 and then be done for the day! What?! She is now in her full-time teaching segment, which is lasting a total of 4 weeks. Then, she will go back down in the time she teaches every day. Her last day is the end of April.
I have been so spoiled with her. Between her and my co-teacher, things just get done. I never take work home, papers are graded, grades are entered, parents are called. It is amazing.
It's going to be very hard to have to teach full-time again!
No comments:
Post a Comment