Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Leaving the classroom...

Yes, that's right.  After 6+ years of teaching, I will no longer actually be teaching any students!

Long story short, I was offered this position, really out of the blue, to be a Lead Teacher of Compliance (also known as a consultant) in Special Education in my current county.  I will be working with a couple of elementary schools and will be in charge of a lot of paperwork, attending lots of IEP meetings, making sure the special education teachers are getting the help they need, making sure they are turning in paperwork on time, etc. 

I was supposed to start a couple of weeks ago, but my principal hadn't found a replacement for me yet, so she wanted me to stay until they found a new teacher.  Now that they have, I finally feel like it's official.  I start on Thursday!!

I was thinking back about my crazy teaching career... let me give you a little snapshot:
  • First 2 years- teaching special education on a provisional certificate while going to grad school to get my Master's/certification.
  • Year 3- began teaching in special education, but a month into school I was moved to regular education 8th grade math to replace a teacher who moved positions.  I taught the rest of the year in this position.  Also, I worked on my Specialist's degree this year.
  • Year 4- knowing I was going to have a baby this year, I asked to go back to special education (I thought it would be better to have a long-term sub in smaller classes).  I was out for 16 weeks, from mid-September to January, then finished the year in special education.
  • Year 5- I taught half the year in special education, and was moved to regular education 8th grade math (again!) after Christmas break.  Finished the year in this position.
  • Year 6- I had sat next to a principal and AP from an elementary school the previous fall at a wedding, and they called me up out of nowhere that next spring, offering me a position in Rockdale.  I was very content where I was, but this was so out of the blue that I took it as fate.  For year 6, I drove back and forth between two elementary schools every day, working as a half-time special education teacher at each school.  Oh, and I was off for 12 weeks of maternity leave.  (whew!  What a year!)
  • Year 7- this year, I went full-time at one of my schools from last year, and taught the first almost 3 months in this position.  Now, my new adventure...
So, I can truly say that I have never gotten bored in any of my teaching positions.  I am all about being comfortable, but I think all of these experiences have really helped me grow so much in my teaching career.  I have learned to be flexible, to work with so many different types of people, and I have learned and taught all subjects and every grade from K-8.  And, let's face it... I've learned to wing it.  I don't think I've had a choice not to. 

So, cross your fingers for me... I know there will be another (huge) learning curve, but hopefully I can manage it, just like all my other changes.  Here's to the next chapter of my career!

2 comments:

Molly said...

Congratulations! I know you'll be great!

Amy said...

Congrats! That is awesome!