Thursday, April 5, 2012

Sad Week

This past week was one of those weeks where you are reminded how thankful you are to have healthy children.  Yes, my kids have had a rough week in regards to their healths... but, I would take that any day than what 3 people I know of have gone through this week.

First of all, a lovely family from our church lost their sweet 7 year-old daughter.  She had a disease called mito for short, and she was in a wheelchair and was non-verbal her whole life.  However, she had a smile that radiated every room she walked into.  About 3 months ago, she had to be in the hospital, due to having a fever and being sick.  They then put her on hospice so she could be treated at home.  Sweet Laura lost her fight last Sunday.  Here is their family blog, in case you're interested in learning about this precious girl:  http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/lauraw/journal

Another family, living in Monroe, lost their little 2 year-old daughter to leukemia.  I didn't know this family, but a lot of my local friends did, so I heard a lot about the situation.  The sweet little toddler, Piper, had been diagnosed with leukemia shortly after birth, and had been fighting for 30 months.  Please keep the Needham family in your prayers.

The last thing that happened this week is a sweet couple that Stephen went to Tech with, and worked with at Acuity Brands (until the husband decided to become a minister).  That was about 7 years ago.  Now, they have 3 little girls and just had their 4th, Eden.  She was diagnosed with having Down's Syndrome after birth.  She has heart defects and digestive tract issues.  She has already had to have one, if not two, surgeries.  They are tracking Eden's progress on their blog:  http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/edenstegall  Stephen asked me, "Why would a good family like them, who takes care of themselves and are loving people, have to go through this, when others get pregnant, do drugs, drink, etc. and have perfectly healthy babies?"  While that is often times true, I told Stephen that God must know what families can handle a baby with challenges, and who would take the best care of these babies.  The Stegall family is definitely a family who will give that sweet baby a wonderful life full of love.

Stephen and I talked about how this was a very depressing week, and I don't mean to be so depressing in this blog.  I just hope to remind you, just like these things did for me, that be so thankful for your health.  And your children.  I know that I am! :)

No comments: