We are on day 12 of being home as a 5 person family, and I realize this isn't enough time to establish any kind of routine. We are still figuring things out on our end... figuring out Parker... figuring out how the girls are dealing with the new addition... having friends and family over to visit... things are still new and different and it'll take a while to get things together.
But, I wanted to give you a snapshot of a typical untypical night.
Mom and I picked the girls up from daycare around 4:15ish after a full day away from home. Parker starts crying on our way home, so I'm feeding him a bottle from the front seat. My arm falls asleep within 1.5 minutes. He finishes his meal and falls right back to sleep.
We make it home, and I'm trying to get the house tidied up, bottles washed, the girls entertained and fed. Taylor is given all of her medicines- steroid, antibiotic, 2 inhalers. Our good friend and her daughter arrive around 6 to meet Parker. Sydney and her little friend have a blast playing dress up and running circles around the house. Taylor is hanging out with the adults, and while she's sitting in my lap, her diaper completely starts to leak. Grandmom to the rescue- she handles the issue, and Taylor comes back down with nothing but a t-shirt on and her little bootie hanging out of her diaper. She runs around like this for the next 1.5 hours. Meanwhile, Parker sleeps peacefully.
A good neighbor friend arrives around 7 PM to bring us dinner. Girls are still running around the house, Taylor is still entertaining us, and Parker continues to sleep.
When both friends head home, Stephen bathes the girls. Taylor is screaming from being up a little later than normal (and I think part of her crankiness came from the steroids she is on). As I'm getting ready to brush her teeth, she steps up on the stool, slips off, and hits her chin on the counter. Blood is absolutely pouring out of her mouth, getting all over her PJs, her body. She's crying, I'm crying, I'm screaming for Stephen to grab Parker, who I am holding (and who is staring wide-eyed at me like, what kind of household was I born in to??). Taylor's bleeding slows and eventually stops. Sydney is crying that she is sick. We can't find her monkey to send her to bed with. I get Parker and Stephen searches the house for monkey, with no luck. Taylor lays down but is doing that post-crying breathing (where it sounds like she can hardly catch her breath). I give Parker, who at this point is uncontrollably crying, to Stephen and I lay down with Taylor. Sydney starts screaming, "Mommy! Mommy!" and when I go in there, she wants monkey.
Meanwhile, I check my almost-dead phone and I see several missed calls and text messages. None of which I replied to tonight.
So, what do I do? I get a brownie, made by another neighbor, a glass of milk, and I sit down to write this. I kind of feel better already.
Yep, folks, this is our kind of life right now!
No comments:
Post a Comment