Sunday, October 9, 2011

Fall Break Update

The one nice thing about my county starting back to school in the middle of summer (literally!) is that we get full weeks off for October break, Thanksgiving, two at Christmas, February break, and spring break.  This past week was our fall break, and boy, was it needed!

We were busy busy beavers over the break, doing a mixture of traveling, fun with friends, and much-needed appointments.

As you can tell from the blog, we spent Saturday-Tuesday in California.  What a trip! 

Wednesday: Stephen left for NYC this day, so I took the girls to daycare and headed into Emory LASIK center.  Backing up, I had gone in for a consultation in July to see if I was a candidate for LASIK.  I have these funky contacts that I wear, which I was told to leave out for 2 weeks.  However, during my appointment in July, they said I actually needed to leave them out for 4-6 weeks.  I was bummed because I knew I'd have to wait until October to go back (I couldn't take a day off for this, seeing as it lasts 3+ hours for the consultation alone!).  Anyways, back to the appointment... after 6 weeks straight of wearing my glasses, 3 hours of sitting in the Emory Center, having my eyes dilated (which took 2 days to go back to normal)... I was told I wasn't a candidate for LASIK.  Boo!!  I was definitely bummed.  I guess I always thought in the back of my mind that "one day" I would have LASIK and not have to bother with glasses/contacts... and now that will never happen! :(

But, to cheer me up, I got to go see my friends', Molly and Ben, new baby girl, Anna Kate!  She is absolutely precious!  She was born the day after Sydney's birthday.  That definitely lifted my spirits. 

Then, I ran other little errands (getting a bridesmaid's dress altered, Walmart) and went to get the girls.  Our neighbors came over to play/hang out, and we called it a night!

Thursday:  The girls and I slept in until about 8 AM... I think we were somewhere in between EST and PST.  I took them to school, went to my orthodontist appointment (ouch), went to JoAnn's Craft Store (fun) and then went to get my 4" roots fixed at the salon! 

That night, we watched our neighbors' kids... and by "we" I actually mean me, myself, and I as Stephen was flying back that night.  So, I had an almost 1 year old, almost 2 year old, 3 year old and a 4 year old at the house.  I got them fed, bathed, and tired-out. 

Friday:  This was my "open" day.  I ironed, made some fun shirts for the girls (see below), and the best part... went back to my old middle school to see my old co-workers!  It's amazing how it just felt like I was coming home.  I got hugs from everyone- teachers, janitors, parapros... even students that I kind of/sort of knew when they were in the 6th grade.  I sure do miss everybody there! 

Friday evening, the fam headed out to Chili's, Walmart, and Publix to get our weekly shopping done for the work week. 

Saturday:  Stephen went to the GT game that morning, so it was me and the girls all day long!!  I got SO much done around the house.  I put up clothes, sorted through my closet and made a donation pile, painted pumpkins (see below), made chili on the crock pot, made home DVDs, played over at the neighbors, had a nice long visit with another neighbor (who is sadly selling their house this week and will be in FL for good :(. 

That night, once Stephen was home, I headed into Brookhaven to meet my friend, Sara, and a couple other girls to watch the UGA game!  It was a fun visit.

Sunday: I woke up not feeling great today, but we went to church, got the haircuts, came home and the girls napped.  I actually cracked open my work bag and did my lesson plans, went for a jog, and played with the kiddos.  I think I have decided that Sundays are my favorite day of the week- such a great day to just chill.

So, that is about it!  So long, Fall Break... you were very good to me!  Next up, Thanksgiving Break... only 6 more weeks! (but who's counting?)

 Look what I can do! (for about 3 seconds!) (I like Sydney's face in this one!)

Shirts I made... they are all iron-ons! 



My OCD child... this is how it began.

And this is how it ended.  Then Taylor woke up and tore into it!

Lining up the chairs, too. Silly girl!

No comments: