Saturday, October 2, 2010

Updates in General

Since I am SOOOO thrilled that fall is finally here, I gave the blog a little fall facelift.  My front door is decorated, I bought Sydney's Halloween costume (she's going to be Abby-Cadabby from Sesame Street), I have been thrilled to wear my warmer maternity clothes.  Yay for fall!  Thanks to my neighbor who let me borrow four whole bins of maternity clothes.  She had both her babies in the winter (whereas I had Sydney in September) so she has tons of adorable winter clothes.  Did I mention she's awesome?

Anyways, in honor of the blog update, I thought I'd update you on the latest Sydney-doings.  By the way, she has grown leaps and bounds since her 18 month check-up.  At her appointment the other day, she's grown 2" in 6 months (up to 34", putting her about 75%) and has gained a couple of pounds (up to 29.5 pounds, putting her about 85%).  She used to be the runt (well, in terms of height!) but I've noticed she seems to be taller than a lot of kids in her class lately. 

Today was official home potty-training day #1.  I'll give her a C+, which isn't so bad for her first true day!  We nixed the diapers while we were home this afternoon and put her in her "big-girl panties".  We put a diaper on her while she napped (which was 4 hours today!!).  Anyways, while we were home, in a span of about 4 hours, she had 2 potty successes and 2 accidents.  So, 50/50!  I am off all next week, so I figured this might be a good time to try at home.  She's been going at school, but until we do it at home regularly, it won't stick.  Here is Sydney on the potty and in her new underwear.


Can I just tell you how funny this picture was?  I told her I wanted to take a picture of her underwear and she walked away from me, turned her tush towards me, and smiled.  It was hilarious.

Oh, and Sydney is ALL about some Dora now.  Or, as she says, "Do-wuh".  I also thought of Dora as a 3+ show, but maybe not.  She just seems so grown up!  No more are the days of watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and Sesame Street!  So, needless to say, her "big-girl panties" have Dora all over them. :)

As for an update on me, I am feeling and doing much better.  I did have to take the day off on Friday, because my pinkeye was contagious.  The doc had prescribed drops for me, saying they were okay for pregnant women to take.  When I had the prescription filled, I saw the outside of the box says, "Do not take if you are pregnant or think that you might be pregnant".  Well, after doing some research, I find out it's a Category C drug, which means that they just really don't know it's effect in humans.  There were some problems with fetuses in rat studies, although I'm sure they gave them tons of this medicine before there were any problems.  Anyways, it was a risk I wasn't willing to take, so I'm fighting this off alone, and will unfortunately be contagious until it's gone.  (Thank goodness Publix let me return the drops... plus, they were $75!!  what the??)  Luckily, this is day... 4, and it's doing much better.  OK, and this is random, but I thought I would share.  3 people (including the pharmacist) told me that rubbing some baby shampoo on your eyeball actually helps pinkeye.  Crazy, I know.  That's what I've been doing, and I believe that's what has helped it!  The pharmacist said I'd be looking at 2-3 weeks before it would clear up, and this is day 4 and it's so much better already.  Just a little home remedy for you!  My strep throat seems completely better, though I'm still taking the antibiotics!

Thank goodness for fall break next week! I feel like school has been so chaotic the last couple of weeks, between testing, Sydney being sick, me being sick, etc., so it'll be nice to have a full week off to get stuff done around the house, get some long-term sub plans together, relax, etc.  Oh, and just for fun, here's a good comparison (with matching outfits!) for how much both myself and the baby have grown in just 8 weeks!



 week 23                                                 week 31

No comments: