Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Operation 2013: Simplifying

Yep, that's my new year's resolution this year... simplifying my life.  Of course, that goes along with my regulars- lose weight, exercise more, floss my teeth more regularly.  Those are just givens.  But, making my life more simple is something that is becoming a requirement!

So, what does simplifying look like, exactly?  Well, take today, for example.  It's a cold, rainy, yucky day outside, so I have been inside purging old toys, baby stuff Parker is done with, and getting clothes too small for Taylor to give to my neighbor friend, for her daughter who is 1.  I am putting up toys in bins in my closet to swap out in a month or two with "old" toys, to keep the toys fresh and to prevent 3,000 toys laying around the house.  I have organized closets, bought more baby-proofing tools to prevent Taylor from getting in all our cabinets and pulling EVERYTHING out 10 times a day (no, I'm not exaggerating).  Needless to say, after today, I feel better about the start to this whole idea.

Isn't the definition of insanity where you do the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result?  That's how I have felt lately.  After the 300th time of picking up all the game pieces from all the games/puzzles in our cabinet that Taylor pulls out, I decided to put the games out in the garage.  On a high shelf.  Where Taylor can't reach them.  (I should knock on wood, I'm sure she will find a way one day soon.) After the 1,000th time of picking up the 200 books we have in Sydney's room on her bookshelf, I have put all the books up in a bin in our attic, and left out about 7 to pick from for now. 

I don't mean to sound ungrateful for all the wonderful toys, books, etc. that we have... we are very blessed.  I'm just trying to simplify and organize our household better.  And, hopefully, the girls will appreciate what they have more.

Another way I'm going to have to simplify things is by being much more organized at night.  I'm packing for 3 for daycare now, so I'll need to make it a priority at night to get their bags packed, jackets in the car, papers signed and put back in folders.  I'm planning on laying out the kids' outfits for the whole week on Sunday.  I'll lay out my outfit at night, too.  Who knows how this whole morning routine will go?  (Guess I'll find out tomorrow!)

I'm going to try to use up things in our house before others get replaced.  Right now, for example, Sydney has outgrown her black and brown boots.  But, she has a pair of brown and black shoes.  They may not be as cute with some of her outfits, but... she is 4.  She will be perfectly fine.  I'd also like to continuously clean out our pantry before buying new food.  Clutter... be gone.

I'm also going to try my best to leave work at a reasonable time each day, and to leave work at work.  At least, leave it until the kids go to bed and I get the aforementioned things accomplished.  We've also buckled down and gotten a maid service to come (they start this Friday, woohoo!) and we are ordering things from Amazon Prime, like diapers, pull-ups, paper towels, etc. to come straight to our door.

Simplicity.  I crave it.  I don't feel like I have that now at all (though it is for good reason, and I wouldn't trade that!).  But, here is to a simple, organized, low-key, somewhat manageable (and hopefully lighter, healthier, with better gums) 2013. 

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

12-31-2012

Charlotte's birthday party- 12-28-2012

My sweet thumbsucker.

Sydney & Avery

Sara and Daniel came to see us!!

Taylor enjoying a nice treat.

1 comment:

Kristine said...

I threw away 15 ancient spices that have been hanging around the pantry spice rack for longer than Matt and I have been married yesterday. Can't tell you how good it felt! And wait till you come home from a hard day's work to a clean house. That someone else cleaned! Bliss.