Sunday, December 31, 2017

2017: A Year in Review

I can't say that I'll miss 2017.  I mean, what really is the meaning of a year?  2018 came just one day after 2017.  It's not that big of a deal, a new year... right?  I guess years do help you chunk events together.  So in that case, the chunk that was 2017 can suck it. ;P

Just kidding.  I really shouldn't be so negative.  There are SO many positives.  There were some sucky things that happened in 2017, but also some really awesome things, too.  So, with that... here's a recap of our year!

Places we visited:



Notable Events:


Latest House Projects:




Fun Activities for the Kiddos:


The Good:
  • I started a job this year- part time, working from home- for my friend's husband's law firm.  I always thought I'd go back to work when all three kiddos were in school all day, and this job has given me the opportunity to make some money while having the flexibility to volunteer at the school and do other things without being tied down to a 9-5 job.  
  • Speaking of the above, I was randomly offered three teaching jobs this year from various principals that I know.  I took a leap of faith and didn't take any of them.  The money I make from my part-time job doesn't equal what I'd make teaching but a) my heart still isn't there... I don't want to teach just for a paycheck and b) I love the fact that I can still be a part-time "stay at home mom".  I believe I have the best of both worlds!!
  • I had LASIK surgery last week!  I have 20/20 vision now, without glasses or contacts.  Yay!
The Bad and the Ugly:
  • My dad was diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer in the spring, and a couple of months later was diagnosed with a rare and aggressive form of skin cancer.  Two big blows in a short period of time.  Many treatments, miles driven, and surgeries plagued my dad's year.  The GOOD is that my dad KICKED BOTH OF THEIR BUTTS (with my mom by his side all the way), and while he still has to continue treatment for some time, I was (and am) amazed at his strength and determination.  My prayer for 2018 and beyond is that he can stay cancer free.
  • Stephen has had back pain/issues for years, but this year his back issues caused nerve pain that made it so he couldn't sit or stand for any length of time.  This lasted for about 5 months and eventually made it so he could hardly travel, drive, ride, sit, stand, sleep, etc.  After months of trying everything (swimming, exercises, chiropractor, medications, heating pads, cooling pads, MRIs, etc), the doctor deemed surgery was the answer.  On November 29th, Stephen had surgery on his lower back.  It was a rough recovery for him for a couple of weeks, but he's almost to the 6 week point and is doing SO much better.  (and on the plus side, Stephen hasn't been able to fly for work in 6 weeks so it's been nice to have him around all this time!)
  • LICE.  We were infected with lice 5 different times between July and September.  I normally wouldn't think much of that if someone told me the same thing, but HOLY COW- it was awful. The thing about lice is that if you leave ONE little bug, it can reproduce and start the whole process over.  I'm not lying, it was a bit of a depressing time.
  • Fixing up and selling our two rental houses were big stressors over the summer.  I would never recommend for anyone to do them at the same time.  In the end, it has worked out but there was a lot of blood, sweat, and tears for a few months.
So, there you go!  The good, the bad, and the ugly that was 2017.  Seriously, though, I'm thankful for our health (despite me having the flu and Taylor having strep this past week), I'm thankful for our opportunities we've been blessed with, and I'm thankful for my family.  I pray for a healthier 2018, a happier 2018, a NO LICE 2018, and an adventure-filled 2018.

Happy new year!!!

No comments: